"There are a lot of secrets in District 9..."

...and I'm not going to reveal any of them. The first thing I heard about District 9 contained the words "sci-fi" and "Peter Jackson". I pretty much shut down the info flow at that point, my decision to see it at some point already made. I like to deliberately avoid trailers or movie details, especially when I'm fairly certain it's my type of movie (although I'll admit Cloverfield was a bit of a disappointment). I don't want any additional information about plot or characters or anything like that - it's nice to experience a story without any preconceived notions.

This worked fabulously for District 9, because the first 20 minutes were completely unexpected, from the cinematography style to the characters and events. For a moment I thought I'd inadvertently stumbled into a DVD "behind the scenes" extra. Without going into too much detail to avoid spoilers, District 9 evolves into a remarkably personal story with some fairly though-provoking moments. It's also shockingly gory at times, but that violence only serves to raise a lot of questions about just how this situation came to be, and gives a lot of background to why certain characters behave the way they do.

It's tough to say much more about the movie, because if you haven't seen it and don't know anything about it, I don't want to ruin anything. Suffice to say that it's definitely worth a viewing, and is one of the better sci-fi movies I've seen in quite awhile. (WAY better than Avatar. I reserve judgment on Moon until I've seen it.)

1 comments:

IWatched District 9 on Christmas Eve... I remember this because I was wrapping a mountain of presents while this was playing.

Like Moon ($5M), this is another relatively low budget film ($30M) in comparison to others of its type. I find it tough to strictly compare movies based on production costs though. Sometimes campy movies can pull it off. District 9 is one of those movies.

I my humble opinion, Avatar is the bee's knees. I mean, think about it. James Cameron created an entire world. A WORLD!

To me, Avatar was as much of an event as it was a movie. I wanted to be a part of it and I was glad I saw it on the big screen. I have no idea how this will translate to the small-screen. Seeing it in 3D was amazing.

In some ways District 9 shares a distinct plot line with Avatar, exploitation.

Post a Comment